Tuesday 21 April 2009

Italian drivers

When we first arrived in Italy I was too pregnant to fit comfortably behind the steering wheel so I sat in the passenger seat digging my nails into the dashboard or pressing an imaginary brake and cringing as R drove. Not because of R's driving but because of the other people on the road. It didn't take long to get used to the way things were and I didn't pay much mind until I got behind the wheel myself. I am posting this now because of something I saw this morning while taking H to school...but I will get to that later. You actually have to have eyes on both sides of your head as well as the back to see all that is going on around you! I have driven for over 20 years now(not telling my age here am I?) most of that while living in a big city but I have never seen things like I have here. People actually drive along on their motorcycles and mopeds with children in their lap, no helmets (if they have one on it isn't fastened..some help that would be) and many actually text while driving down a busy street. Then there are the kids in cars most times jumping in the back seat, sometimes the front or occasionally standing on the hump between the seats, I am talking all ages of children here-from newborn(on the parents lap) and up. The kids are bouncing all over the car, climbing from front to the back, hanging out the windows or sitting on mom and dads lap in the front. It astonishes me that a nation of people that love children so much don't do more to make sure their kids are safe in the car!! And the most hypocritical thing is the driver has their seatbelt on but don't bother to buckle up junior! What amazes me even more is that the police look at them and drive right by like it's ok!

Another thing is sitting at a traffic light, if you are sitting at a light that is supposed to be two lanes you all of sudden find yourself in the middle of four. You can't take for granted that just because the light has changed to green for you it is safe to go because often times at least five other cars keep going through the light that has turned red for them. The round abouts are a whole different matter all together, it depends on which "era" you are from as to what "rules" apply when entering one. Years ago you were to stop in the middle of the round about to give way to cars entering where now you give way to the traffic actually on the round about (same as UK) but some of the old timers must not have got that memo because everybody does their own thing.
Now for why I am posting this,the school H goes to is only a mile down the road but it can take me well over 20 minutes to get her there in the morning because of traffic. It's not your ordinary run of the mill traffic but the "way I feel like driving today" sort of traffic. It's a two lane road with each lane moving in opposite directions with a four way traffic light at the intersection. At the end of the road is another small school, a cafe and some type of clothing shop(more like tat than anything else) the school and cafe are always busy so there are cars coming and going pretty frequently.Most times I sit through 5 flipping lights and usually catch another one as it's turning red so sit through a 6th. It's because the cars leaving the cafe shove their way into the lane moving towards the light so when it does turn green you are left waiting for these people to merge into the lane. This morning I saw a first, there was a woman trying to turn right but no one would let her in so she backs her car up and proceeds to drive down the sidewalk! Two tires on the road and two on the sidewalk, she nearly hit a few people and almost whacked into a street sign. She did eventually get in but couldn't she just wait a few minutes like everyone else?
It is madness on the road here, you have to watch for motorcyclists and bicyclists, weaving in and out of traffic and pedestrians just strolling out in front of the car, you have to look out for other cars, truck, lorries around you behind you and in front of you and of course those trying to pull out from a side street. It's a wonder we haven't...no wait... I won't put a jinx on anything by saying it out loud but I am sure you get the idea. Thank goodness I was taught to be a defensive driver by my Dad! I am glad to say I am not a nervous driver I have never been, I don't know how I would cope if I were. Gotta go get my extra eyes on because I am about to go for a drive!

No comments: